Museum Closes for the Season on October 29.
Enfield Shaker Museum will close for the season at the end of the day on Sunday, October 29, 2023. It has been one of our most exciting years ever:
- We initiated a 3-year long restoration of the exterior of the Stone Mill with a matching grant from the National Park Service as part of their Restoring America’s Treasures program.
- We removed the leaky belfry at the top of the Great Stone Dwelling with the aid of a 110′ crane. New columns were turned in Eastern white pine by a ship’s mast maker in coastal Maine. The project is due for completion in early November.
- We opened a major new exhibit, “Enfield Shaker Trustees 1795-1904: Faithful Stewards” in Room 2 in the Great Stone Dwelling, which had been carefully restored to its original 1841 appearance.
- We hosted the 22nd annual Spring Shaker Forum in April and the 2nd annual Collector’s Weekend in August.
- And most exciting of all–with contributions from over 300 donors in 24 states, we purchased the Enfield Shaker North Family site on September 29th. It contains five historic Shaker buildings on 28 acres. We will be giving tours next season.
Sincere thanks to our visitors, volunteers, sponsors, and contributors who make it all possible,
Enfield Shaker Museum Board of Trustees and Staff.